As a Holistic Nutritionist, I am always on the hunt for healthy foods that are free from all the junk, like added sugar, sodium, colour and preservatives. Well, it’s a tough find and I usually just end up making my own because it’s really the only way I can control what I end up eating (or don’t eat).
If you are like me, you believe the dressing is what makes the salad. Don’t get me wrong, a big bowl of crispy greens and all the colourful veggies are a dream come true, but a little drizzle of extra flavour is just the icing on the cake, so to speak. I usually prep a big salad for the week by
- washing and chopping the greens
- chopping veggies that can be stored in one container, like peppers, cucumber, mushrooms, red onion, and any roasted veggies that might be leftovers
- prep any protein, like goat cheese, chickpeas, leftover roasted chicken or salmon, or hard boil some eggs
- make a small pot of quinoa, which can be added for extra protein or fibre
- wash and prep any fruit, like strawberries, blueberries or raspberries
- prep a jar of mixed nuts and seeds to sprinkle on when ready
- prep a healthy salad dressing and store it in a mason jar to shake easily
I don’t assemble the salad, I just get everything ready for a quick lunch when I need it. I keep all the fixings together in the fridge so I don’t forget anything. AND, the dressing gets drizzled on at the end like a beautiful masterpiece. Here are 3 of my go-to salad dressing recipes from around the web….
The Green Goddess Dressing by Oh She Glows is packed with fresh herbs (which means vitamins and minerals!). I have added a couple of Tablespoons of dairy-free, unsweetened yogurt to this recipe to make it extra creamy.
Dairy-free Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing by The Simple Veganista gives a little sweetness to any salad. This also makes a great veggie dip!
The Raspberry Basil Viniagrette pairs my two fave ingredients that I usually add to salads, anyway. It is fresh, sweet and tangy. If you have fresh basil in your garden, even better.
Which one will you try this week?