Did you know that there are 6 stages of change? I met a woman today while my client and I were on a fitness-y walk, who has lost 65 pounds through proper nutrition, exercise and commitment to her journey. No “diets” or crazy restrictions besides sugar, regular meals, portion control and balance.
She’s now in the “termination stage of change”, which is the last stage, involving a lifelong commitment and zero desire to return to the unhealthy state, which is where she started.
In my work, I see many stages of readiness and relapses can happen at any stage.
The stages are
- Pre-contemplation : you do not intend to take any action within 6 months
- Contemplation: you intend on making a change within 6 months
- Preparation: you are ready for action within 30 days
- Action: you have made a change in behaviour or habits within the last 6 months
- Maintenance: you have made AND maintained the change for longer than 6 months
- Termination: you have zero desire to return to your previous unhealthy state and are making a lifelong commitment to the change
Can you relate to any of these stages? Do you find you get stuck in one stage more than others? It’s a journey! Not a quick fix. As you can see, there are a lot of steps involved and “I am ready” is the beginning ❤️
Contact me to chat more about making some healthy changes.